At a loss of where to go on a sunny Gold Coast Sunday for a Bloody Mary, my girlfriend and I finally gave up and decided to take matters into our own hands and make our own! A reconnaissance of several establishments along the Coast for this quintessential Sunday morning-after beverage left us faced with places either without a bartender, a supply of tomato juice, an open kitchen for brunch or sun-drenched seating! With our determination strong to make sure we got what we had set out for, we changed our game plan and headed to the supermarket for a quick collection of essential ingredients to mix with the vodka we already had stashed in the freezer at home – how convenient! Not being mixologists by trade, we were pretty chuffed with the concoction we came up with.
Cheat Bloody Mary
- 2.5 parts vodka
- Juice of half a lemon
- Slice of cucumber (just a touch longer than the height of your glass)
- Slice of celery (again, just a touch longer than the height of your glass)
- Pinch of salt
- Fresh grind of pepper
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- Hot & Spicy V8 Veggie Juice (that’s the cheat!)
- Extra Tabasco, if required
- Fill a large tumbler half full of ice.
- Place the cucumber and celery sticks in the tumbler.
- Pour in vodka, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce and stir with your veggie sticks to combine (how nifty!).
- Top with salt, pepper to taste and extra Tabasco if you are a brave soul.
- Stir and sip contently. Continue to top with tomato juice if your ice melts quickly.
Makes one delicious and potent Bloody Mary.
If you are feeling extra fancy, you could muddle some cherry tomatoes and basil. I think that would be rather delicious!
A great success! Lucky for us, my place has an amazing and sunny view! Cheers!!