… or at least emulate her supermodel glow by gulping down the same superfood-packed green smoothie that the Aussie model starts her days with.*
The lovely people at Total Vita have generously supplied me with some of the ingredients (thank you!!) so that I could whip one up for myself. Hoorah for me!
Total Vita is an awesome online natural health goods store. Check them out at www.totalvita.com.au for all your healthy and organic food, supplements, vitamins, natural beauty and eco-friendly home product needs!
I come across a lot of green smoothie recipes and I was expecting it to be the usual spinach, kale, cucumber concoction. But not so! One ultimate nutrient-packed breakfast smoothie will require the following..
Kerr’s Ultimate Morning Smoothie
- 1 glass (235mL) fresh coconut water – mine came from a carton but it’s close enough for these purposes
- 1 glass (235mL) cold-pressed coconut milk
- 1 tbs acai berries – antioxidant-rich fruit (layman’s terms: anti-cancer, anti-disease, anti-aging!!). I used acai powder.
- 1 tbs chia seeds – these tiny little suckers (pun intended) will soak up liquid and go all gelatinous. They are great for colon-cleansing (high-fibre), they are gluten-free, full of Omega-3’s, are a complete protein with all essential amino acids, are high in antioxidants, vitamin C and calcium, and are great for healthy hair skin and nails – why hello there Kerr glow!
- 1 tbs maca powder – this vitality enhancer will give you a big boost of energy, especially in the bedroom! Woot woo!
- 1 tbs spirulina – a true “superfood” jam-packed with goodness but the big ticket here is its high Chlorophyll content. It will help remove toxins from the blood, bind with heavy metals in the body and help remove them, alkalise your body and boost your immune system.
- 1 tbs goji berry powder – nutritional powerhouses, these berries are used in traditional Chinese medicine to help with improving eyesight, cleansing the blood, improving the condition of the skin and increasing longevity! I used actual berries and not powder.
- 1 tbs raw cocoa powder – rich in antioxidants and magnesium and deliciously chocolatey – sold!
- 1.5 tbs vegan rice protein powder
Throw all ingredients into a powerful blender (like a Vitamix) and whiz until smooth and creamy. I blended mine with lots of ice.
Jam-packed full of nutrients and a little luxe, but how does it taste? Well I won’t say it’s the most delicious green concoction I’ve tried but it’s not too bad, especially considering it’s got a good dose of spirulina, which I normally find rather offensive and unpalatable. Here you can’t really taste it at all. Just remind yourself of all the health benefits and the vision of your Kerr-like strut down the runway (aka street), blend it with plenty of ice, and you’ll be powered all the way until lunchtime.
*Recently featured on Net-a-Porter’s The Body Beautiful video series: http://www.net-a-porter.com/magazine/200/21