It’s the first weekend of Dry July, so in an effort to keep busy and eat clean, I decided to make a healthy dinner (as opposed to lazily getting takeout as I am often guilty of on a Friday night, bottle of wine in tow).
This recipe is from the “detox” menu plan in Gwyneth Paltrow’s “It’s All Good” cookbook. By the way, I’ve tried a few of her recipes now and I must say, I am digging them! I had mine bun-free as I had already indulged in pizza, chips and cake today (oops) but you can have them on a gluten-free bun. These burgers were, as my friend Lauren would say, absolutely deeelish!
Thai Chicken Burgers
- 500g minced chicken breast
- 2 garlic cloves, very finely minced
- 2/3 cups coriander, finely chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped – I used spring onions
- 1 tsp very finely minced red chilli – I used 2 small hot chillies
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan rock salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbs neutral oil (like canola, grapeseed or safflower oil)
Thoroughly mix the chicken with the garlic, coriander, shallots, red chilli, fish sauce, salt and pepper. Form the mixture into 4 burgers (I made 8 smaller ones).
Heat a grill pan over medium heat. Rub each burger on both side with a bit of the oil and grill for about 8 minutes on the first side and another 5 minutes on the second, or until nicely marked and firm to the touch.
Makes 2 cups
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil – Next time I would use only 1tbs, it was a tad oily for my liking
- 2 tbs freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded cos lettuce
- 3 tbs finely diced red red onion
- 2 scallions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced – I used spring onion
- 3 tbs roughly chopped coriander
- 2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
Whisk together the olive oil, lime juice and fish sauce in a large mixing bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and allow the slaw to sit for at least 10 minutes and as long as 6 hours before serving.
I hope you enjoy the burgers as much as I did, and that you have a happy and healthy weekend! Rest relax rejuvenate xx