I bet you’ve all been wondering what I’ve been up to!
Well, it’s nearly the end of my “No Processed Sugar August Challenge” and I have to be honest and confess that although I started out with good intentions and kept it up for a little bit, I have fallen off the wagon hard and may even be worse than before I set myself out for this challenge! (oops).
So, a few lessons learnt from this little experiment:
- Being too strict is extremely hard to maintain and you will probably end up bingeing after even the smallest slip-up. That “oh well I’ve ruined it now” attitude will kick in, and you’ll end up being worse-off than if you had just allowed yourself to indulge a little.
- Moderation is key – the “80/20 Rule”: Eat well 80 per cent of the time, and 20 per cent of the time you can enjoy a little indulgence. Of course, still try and go for healthier, homemade alternatives, not that nasty pre-packaged gunk. If you’re going to be bad, at least make it good.
At least now I am inspired to think up yummy clean recipes to try and reverse some of the damage that I have no doubt induced upon myself by demolishing naughty processed sugars. Not only do we know that sugar is a major culprit for weightgain and disease, sugar literally ages your skin by damaging the collagen and elastin. Say hi to sagging and wrinkles. Um, no thank you!
Here’s a low-carb, low-sugar (minimal naturally occurring sugars from the fruit and milk), high-protein, gluten-free, antioxidant-rich, low-fat, anti-ageing smoothie for you to enjoy as a light meal or post-gym snack.
Low Carb Anti Ageing Mixed Berry Smoothie
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- 1 cup (250mL) milk of your choice, coconut water or water – I used lactose-free full cream milk
- 1 tsp flaxseed oil – promotes healthy skin
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 big scoop raw vegan wholegrain brown rice protein – I use ezyprotein but you can use any other whey or pea protein you like
- Splash of water, if needed
- Throw all the ingredients into a powerful blender (like a Vitamix) and whiz until smooth and creamy.
- Gulp down guilt-free.
Nutritional Information (when made with water)
- Protein 31g
- Total fat 6.7g
- Saturated fat 1g
- Carbs 7.2g
- Calories 214
- Kilojoules 896
- Fibre 4.4g