It’s getting darker in the mornings and you’re reaching for the extra blankie at night. Yep that’s right, winter is just around the corner. You can feel it in the air and in your bones. Winter means toastie hot chocolates (I’ll have an extra marshmallow please!) and a reason to pull out your fabulous suede boots, but it also means it’s flu season.
Stay phlegm-free this winter with this delicious immune boosting green smoothie. Now whilst I don’t normally advocate smoothies made with a whole lotta fruits (they can be very high in sugar), this smoothie uses citrus fruits only, which are relatively low in sugar. Plus, it’s worth all the nutritious vitamin C goodness you’ll be nourishing your cells with, to keep you fighting fit and strong as the mercury drops outside.
- 2 oranges, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 lime, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, peeled and roughly chopped
- large handful of spinach leaves – all-round nutritional powerhouse
- small handful of parsely – vitamins A & C and anti-inflammatory
- 1/2 teaspoon tumeric – antiviral and anti-inflammatory
- 2cm-piece of ginger (more if you like a kick!) – anti-inflammatory
- 1/2 cup coconut water (or just filtered normal water, it’s up to you)
Throw all the ingredients into a powerful blender (eg Vitamix) and whiz away. Easy as.*
*This recipe is adapted from Teresa Cutter’s website www.thehealthychef.com