Lately I’ve been getting a little bored of my breakfast green smoothie and have been craving the chewiness of.. FOOD!
Don’t get me wrong, I love my green smoothies but sometimes you just want that spoon-to-mouth-and-chew action.
One way I have been switching it up is with Overnight Oats (aka Bircher muesli). You still get all the convenience of a one-jar breakfast that can be eaten on-the-go, and what’s better, it basically prepares itself overnight!
Basic Overnight Oats Recipe
- 1/3 cup rolled oats – I use my own mixture of rolled oats, quinoa flakes, coconut flakes, sultanas, raisins, apricots, almonds, sunflower seeds and linseeds
- 1/3 cup milk (soy, dairy, nut, coconut, or even water if you are trying to be good)
- 1/3 cup yoghurt – I use Chobani No Fat, it’s super high in protein and doesn’t have any yucky additives*
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- pinch of cinnamon – I like a good dose
- (you could add some vanilla or a pinch a salt also)
Throw all ingredients into a jar. Screw the lid on and swirl to combine. Place in fridge overnight. In the morning, add in slices of banana, berries, crunchy granola or nuts, coconut.. whatever tickles your fancy. Grab the closest spoon, your bag, keys and you’re out the door ready to face the day!
Check out http://www.buzzfeed.com/arielknutson/overnight-oat-recipes-oatmeal-cold for some awesome Overnight Oats flavour inspiration!
Next I’m going to try out this Green Monster Vegan Overnight Oats – this way you’re not missing out on your morning greens! Stay tuned to see how my Green Monster Vegan Overnight Oats turn out (and tastes!!).
*I use Chobani Greek Yoghurt (Plain Fat Free). Per 180g serve, it has 17g protein, 0g fat and 6.9g of sugar (but it’s lactose which is naturally occurring in dairy and not yucky added sugars). You can find Chobani at Coles and Woolies.